Sunday, August 24, 2008

So we meet again quasi-employment

Tomorrow marks the start of my third internship.

Tuesday marks the start of my fourth internship.

Somewhere in between 8:30 a.m. Monday on the train and 6 p.m.-ish on the train home Tuesday I will likely question the purpose of my life. Both internships are unpaid, but cover travel expenses. One will be marketing and PR work and the other will be video editing and production for a comedy theater in the city.

Beyond the main issue of not having a permanent job, these internships signal the end to a style of life. I was getting accustomed to looking for jobs all day. I didn't say I liked that style of life.

I am an anti-shaving, anti-socks, anti-belt, shorts-wearing kind of guy. This doesn't always mesh with corporate America. I suppose they'll want me to shower on a regular basis too. When does it end? I will not be molded. Lots of people talk about settling into a career, but I need to draw the line somewhere.

In reality, I am looking forward to these opportunities. I am always looking for more material and I am pretty sure people don't like hearing about the job I saw on Craigslist. Now, I'll have something to talk about on the phone beyond that crazed squirrel in my backyard that thinks it's a cat. And there's always the hope of an office romance. For the record, I have nothing against cougars...as long as they can provide the lifestyle to which I am accustomed and deserve--four square meals and cable television.

Yeah Mondays.

No comments: